Professor Joshua Alabi
Prof. Joshua Alabi was born on 1st March, 1958. He is currently the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA), a public university in Ghana. Prof. Alabi is an Economist by training and a Marketer by Profession. He is an Associate Professor in Marketing and a graduate of two Institutions – MSc. in Industrial Economics, 1986 from Moscow Institute of National Economy , Plekhanov now Russian Economics University and an MSc in International Marketing from the Strathclyde University, Glasgow (1992) where he obtained the Mushod Abiola Prize in International Marketing . He is also a member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), Ghana, a Fellow of the Ghana Institute of Taxation and a Fellow of the Institute of Bankers, Ghana.
Prof. Alabi is an accomplished academic, astute politician, a visionary and transformational leader, with tremendous credit in governance, sports administration and an acclaimed entrepreneur. Prof. Alabi combines his three decades of professional experience to serve on a number of national and international Boards, including
- The Board Chairman of the Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT),
- The Chairman of the Board of the Home Finance Company (HFC) Bank – Ghana
- Member of the Ghana National Commission for UNESCO and the Chairman of the Social Science Committee of the UNESCO – Commission, 2009 - 2014
- Member of the UNESCO Group of Experts in September 2011,
- Board Chairman Ghana Book Development Council 2009 to date
- Chairman Accra Polytechnic Governing Council 2009 to 2014
- Member of Parliament for the Krowor Constituency in the Greater Accra Region from 1997 to 2001
- Minister of State for the Greater Accra and Northern Regions respectively between 1997 and 2001.
- Chairs the West Africa Region of the International Association of University Presidents since June 2011 till date
- National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS) President, Europe from 1985-1986,
- National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS) President, USSR for two consecutive terms, from 1983 to 1985
Prof. Alabi’s sterling qualities and achievements in his fields of endeavor has earned him quite a number of awards and recognition and has been nationally acclaimed for his contribution towards development in the fields of education, governance, leadership and sports. Prof. Alabi was named the most influential public sector leader for 2012, by IMMANI Ghana, a Policy and Accountability Think Tank, citing his quite but sturdy contribution in the phenomenal developmental changes of the University of Professional studies, Accra. He has also been awarded Ghana’s Most Prestigious Professional and Business Award – the Marketing Man of the year for 2013, by the Chartered Institute of Marketing Ghana (CIMG).
In academia, Prof Alabi rose through the ranks as lecturer in 1987 to founding Head of the Marketing Department of the University of Professional Studies, Accra in 1989, to the Dean of Management Faculty in 2003 to 2005, to the Pro-Rector from 2005 to 2008, became Rector from 2008 to 2012 and Vice-Chancellor in 2012.
At the institutional level, Prof. Alabi has been serving on a number of Committees including: the Governing Council of the University of Professional Studies, Accra as well as serving on various statutory Committees of Council as follows: the Statutes Committee, Finance Committee, Academic Board, Executive Committee, Planning and Resource Committees, Budget Committee. He has chaired several other Committees including, Housing Committee of UPSA, Publications Committee, Research Conference Committee of UPSA; Library Committee, etc.
Prof. Alabi has also participated in a number of international workshops and peer reviewed conferences and presented papers at some of these conferences with his paper on the “Effects of ethnicity in Political Marketing in Ghana” winning the Best Conference Paper Awards judged by peers in 2007 at the Clute Institute Academic Research Conference in Las –Vegas, USA.
In the field of sports, Prof Alabi was the General Secretary for the Ghana League Clubs Association (GHALCA) from March 1994 – April 1997, a Member of the Ghana Football Association’s Management Board (GFA), and Coordinator, Ghana Black Stars Management Committee from August 1994 – April 1997.
Prof Alabi has managed countless number of international and national projects successfully and is the founder and Board Chair of the Consumer Advocacy Center (CAC), Ghana; a Full Member of the Consumers International, (CI) and a member of the Federation of Consumer Organization in 115 countries (http://www.consumersinternational.org/).
Prof. Alabi is a family man and is married with two children.